Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Hippity-Hop! every time I look at this project it sprouts several rabbit trails to (mis) lead me to more solutions! or problems... as perspective sometime defines them.

I was told once that "a thoroughly defined question IS an answer" so this question popped unbidden into my whirling brain. :
"why not make your repstrap JUST like your router?"

As anyone who has built the McWire has doubtlessly discovered, it has a large number of mechanical quirks, and several designed in oversites, even so, I have dutifully built it very similarly to that shown in the plans with an eye to interjecting my take on things that could be improved, but, it appears to have stalled as a project as those involved went on to other things.

with that in mind, if this 1/2 meter cube turns out to be cheap enough to build - I may document that and advance it as yet-another-way to build a RepStrap

So, then, since I have some 1x1 extrusion lying around I'll be assembling a 1/2 meter cube with the sanguino electronics/repstrap project in mind - I found some inexpensive brackets online today and this will keep my tinkering reflexes sharp while I save money/wait for parts/etc... I may set it up useing the 1/4 inch drive threads while I decide if I am feeling bold enough to try for linear stepper drives, or if they turn out to be cost prohibitive

Baldor Linear Steppers

I'm sure it'd take thier lowest rating motor, given the forces involved...
yadda yadda, I've said enough for this post

and so it goes...

No comments:

Post a Comment